- The use of a recyclable catalyst, and a reaction that has the potential to generate a valuable by-product firstly demonstrates a sustainable and commercially viable solution.
- The integration, or ‘piggy-backing’ of the solution into a tried-and-tested filtration technology, namely Flue Gas Desulphurisation, reduces the development, funding and time requirements to get the solution to commercialisation. (See page 19 of the IM for more detail)
Mitigation – By working sequentially, VN CC(G) provides continuous and further proofs, validation and recyclability rates of the solution and its application before progressing to the next stage.
Market adoption – whilst the company is already in discussions with major manufacturers regarding integration into existing technologies, this is no guarantee of successful licence sales.
Mitigation – by working with manufacturers at the development stage VN CC(G) opens the possibility for manufacturer-funded R&D. This is a low/no cost funding option that further proves the solution without dilution of shareholders. One additional benefit is that it opens the possibility to a trade sale as an option to an IPO.
Market protection – Some Governments may wish to protect their domestic markets by favouring particular solutions.
Mitigation – VN CC(C) has support from UKTI for this solution and will leverage this position with UK based Operators and Manufacturers to get their buy-in. Furthermore, the VN CC(C) licence model lends itself to encouraging Governments to buy-into it, as the main economic benefits of jobs, taxes and environmental are still there. (See page 48 of the IM for more detail)
- VN CC(Coal) will charge the manufacturer for design and consultancy service
- The manufacturer will integrate, build and commission the plant for the operator under a 20-25 year contract of supply
- The manufacturer will charge the power station operator an annual fee for the provision, maintenance and support of the CO2 removal solution based on a percentage of emissions savings, e.g. 50%
- VN CC(Coal) will charge the manufacturer 20% of this annual charge to the operator, as a licence fee
- VN CC(Coal) is targeted to design one plant, (which is equivalent to 1 500MW boiler) per year
- The manufacturer is targeted to build and commission 1 plant, (which is equivalent to 1 500MW boiler) year (See page 24 and pages 41-42 of the IM for more details)
There is a full breakdown of the forecast EBITDA on pages 41-42 of the IM.
The OPEX is forecast to be as follows:
2019 – £1m 2020 – £1.5m
2021 – £2m
2022 – £2m
2023 – £2m. (See pages 41-42 of the IM for more detail)